Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nan Smith's Perfect Pork Chops

My Dad's parents, Nan and Pop, live in Newfoundland are both great cooks. Together they work in the kitchen really well, not only do they make great pork chops, but they make the BEST turkey dinner you'll find.

On top of the hill behind
my grandparents house in Holyrood
Nan and Pop live in Holyrood, NL. Nan grew up in the small fishing town of Gaskiers, in St Mary's Bay. Pop loves to tell people he grew up in Victoria, BC and when they ask if he's from the west coast he says, "No, Victoria B.C - Behind Carbonier!". Pop always says he and Nan are real Newfoundlander's because they were Newfoundlander's before they were Canadians! Both can remember when Newfoundland officially became a part of Canada.

If you haven't had the chance to visit Newfoundland, you really have to, pictures don't do it justice. It is one of the most beautiful places with the friendliest people in the world! I am slightly biased because half of my family lives in Newfoundland, but trust me, Newfoundlander's are like no others. They're the best.

My brother, sister and I all have our favorite dinners that Nan makes. I love turkey, my brother loves a roast and my sister loves pork chops! Today I am going to share with you how to make Nan's pork chops!

Ingredients:

Pork Chops (6)
Onion (1)
Mushrooms (to taste - 6ish)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)



Directions:

Chop up and fry onion and mushrooms, add pork chops after a few minutes. Brown pork chops, add salt and pepper.

Once pork chops are browned evenly on both sides, place in pan with sides add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with tinfoil and bake on 375 for 1 hour. If using "fast-fry" pork chops 45 to 50 minutes will suffice.

I can guarantee you will love these pork chops. I don't like onions and mushrooms, but you need to have them with these pork chops, together they make them taste delicious! Usually we have mashed potatoes and corn with it. Tonight Scott and I had mashed potatoes (with cheese, bacon bits and a little sour cream mixed in), mixed veggies (corn, peas, beans and carrots) and ceaser salad! It was great.

I invite you all to try out this recipe, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment